Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Welcome to the Great Allegheny Passage 2015 edition

The next few blog post will be an effort to share my big bike ride on the Great Allegheny Passage... I will be posting initially from the trail as wifi and time permits... And when I get home I'll enhance the original posts with more detail and more photos...

The GAP is a trail that goes from downtown Pittsburgh to Cumberland MD ... It then connects to the C and O Rail Trail to go all the way to Georgetown outside DC... The last connecting section to bring the trail all the way to Point Place Park in Pittsburgh was just completed in the last year or so... I rode the GAP from Connellsville PA to Cumberland MD in 2012 ... But with the full trail complete I thought it was time to revisit the trail...

Most people ride West to East starting in Pittsburgh and going East... This is preferred because the climb is more gradual... I went the opposite direction this year which meant I start with a significant uphill section but get it out of the way earlier...

I will ride unsupported and will carry my supplies on my bike... I'll be staying in bed and breakfast or other lodging on the trail... I could have camped but I thought that biking 150 was enough of a challenge... I will carry clothing, toiletries, snacks, electronics and anything else I need on my bike... I tried to keep the weight of my gear to under 25 lbs

No comments:

Post a Comment