Wednesday, August 5, 2015

GAP 2015 day two - Rockwood to Connellsville

Start time 8:35
End time 4:35
Mileage 48.1 (93.1 total)

I woke early today .. The steady early morning train traffic outside my window served as my alarm clock ... I took advantage of the early start and did some quick laundry ...

I had a lite breakfast at the coffee shop at the Rockwood Shops and got on the trail about half an hour early.. The fog that greeted me at 7:30 was completely cleared away by 8:30...
The morning temps were in the mid 60s...

The trail section was a bit rougher than the section from day one ... The farmlands and sweeping vistas on the lower section of the trail gave way to a fairly dense wooded area... In fact I was under a canopy of trees for almost the entirety of the ride today... This meant that there was more debris on the trail surface from the trees overhead... The surface was still in great shape but there were more noticeable ruts and rough sections than I experienced on day one

I encountered three different work crews improving section of the trail on my ride today ... It was nice to see the trails being activity maintained... Sadly the Pinkerton Tunnel was not open to traffic yet ...
The completion date of end of July seems to have come and gone... I was chatting with a couple from Annapolis who said that they just stopped working on the tunnel a few weeks ago ... They were working on it today but it looks like it's still a good while til it's done...



I had a pulled pork sandwich at a little BBQ joint called The Smoke House in Confluence ... and they filled my water bottles with ice and water... The place is just to the left as you get off the bridge ... Worth a stop if you're on the trail and hungry for lunch...

I was making good time and decided to press on and have dessert in Ohiopyle... I had a chocolate shake from Kickstands ... 
It's right across the street from the welcome center so it's easy to find ... I spent some time wandering around the little town before getting a fresh squeezed lemonade from the Firefly Grille.... And with that I was back on the trail...

As the miles wore on my legs started to tire ... So I took more breaks and slowed down my pace a bit ... There is also a little bit of a climb the last 2 miles into Connellsville ... Surprise! ... Even with the delays and the slower pace I was into Connellsville about an hour early and checked into the Connellsville Bed and Breakfast before dinner...
I met the inn keeper and she got me settled in to my room ... The French Room is actually in the front of the building with a separate entrance ... Nothing fancy just two beds and a bathroom ... I did some laundry before heading out for supper ... I tried a little sandwich shop near the bed and breakfast ... Not bad but I was really craving more meet... 

Tomorrow is a slightly shorter travel day ... And it's a part of the trail I've never been on before ...uncharted territory so to speak ... 




No comments:

Post a Comment