Thursday, August 6, 2015

GAP 2015 day three - Connellsville to Boston (PA)

Start time 8:05 am
End time 3:00pm
Mileage 40.7 (134.8 total)

Today started out with a small but delicious breakfast at the Connellsville Bed and Breakfast ...



The trail was still in good shape and the slight downhill grade made the peddling more manageable... The trail gets pretty thin in some spot especially near the less popular trail towns ... At some points it really nothing more than two dirt tire tracks... But even with the evidence of recent rain the trail was in good shape

Most of the trail in this section was still under a heavy wooded canopy which meant between the natural cover and the mostly cloudy skies it was cooler riding ... It was 55 degrees when I set out and only got into the upper 70s all day... I have to say I'd didn't mind not dealing with the sun today ... As you travel the trail towards Pittsburgh you start to see the complexion of the trail towns change and the old train depots are replaced with plaques about the coal mines and the miners... There were a couple of monuments dedicated to mine explosions... 

Lunch at the Trailside was good ... I had wings... I love wings ... I was afraid I was going to eat too much to be comfortable on the trail but I was fine after lunch... I started to tire a bit after lunch and skipped getting ice cream at the Yough Twister because I was still full and didn't want to slow my momentum ... I also got my tires air "topped off" at the local bike stop ... My pace slowed a little on the last 14 miles of the day ... 

I saw more and more bikers who looked like they were "through biking" in the opposite direction (which is standard) ... Including two large groups with matching jerseys... I also saw a couple of riders going my way as well ... But they were passing me and moving much faster ...

When I arrived in Boston I had to climb a small hill with a lot of traffic to get to the bed and breakfast... I was greeted by Lin, the innkeeper, who showed me around the Yough Shore Inn... 
The inn is a converted senior living facility with each guest room decorated in a fun whimsical style ... I was in the Flower room ...
I asked for dinner recommendations and she offered to take to see a band playing in the next town over... 
Elizabeth PA closes a section of Plum St. Every Thursday for a free concert... 

I also had supper at a restaurant on the town square...  When the band took their first break I decided it was time to call it a night and Lin gave me a lift back to the Inn... The band was quite good and did several covers of songs I like.. As well as a few original tunes ...

I am sharing the inn with five couples traveling together ... So far we've not really engaged in any conversation... It's a shared bathroom situation so that could be interesting ... 

Tomorrow is my last day on the trail and I plan to have lunch with my wife and daughter in Pittsburgh...




No comments:

Post a Comment